Monday 30 July 2018

Moment in Time Writing

This week Room 5 has been learning to use their senses to help them make their writing more personal and interesting.

Room 5's teacher modelled an example and then they did their own writing from pictures of school children around the world who travel dangerously to get to school. Room 5 had to write from one of the children's point of view in the photo.

Graphics from "The Writing Book" were used to give students feedback. Next week students will be using the graphics themselves to give each other meaningful feedback.

Here is a sample of some of the writing.



Name: Sateki
Date: 26/7/18


Learning Goal:
We are learning TO USE OUR SENSES to describe what we think is
happening in the photo.

We are learning to use WOW! words like adjectives

and verbs to add impact for

our audience (people who read our writing).



Title:  The most terrifying moment of my life.


I heard the birds squawking in the air while I was riding down the zipline.
I saw the snake creeping and wiggling through the mud trying to catch its prey.
I felt like the zipline was momentarily about to collapse at any moment, I would fall to my
death without any protection.
I wonder if my body will survive and not be the snakes next victim.


Image attribution: https://www.boredpanda.com/dangerous-journey-to-school/?utm_source=direct&utm_
medium=none&utm_campaign=direct

Image credits: Christoph Otto



Name: Opeti
Date: 24/7/18


Learning Goal:
We are learning TO USE OUR SENSES to describe what we think
is happening in the photo.

We are learning to use WOW! words like adjectives and

verbs to add impact for our audience (people who read our writing).



Title: The scariest way to school


https://www.boredpanda.com/dangerous-journey-to-school/?
utm_source=direct&utm_medium=none&utm_campaign=direct


I heard splashing in the mucky water and wind blowing past my ears.
I saw the beautiful malachite mountains and the yellow beaked birds in the foggy sky.
I felt terrified, sick and excited at the same time.

I wondered if the other student in front of me felt the same.





5 comments:

  1. Hi Room 5,
    I loved your stories they made me think of what I would feel like if I was those boys. This reminds me of what I did last year we had to write about this poor little boy who had to walk miles just to get to school. The two writing piece described a lot of both sides of the story. How long be it take to write the stories?
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Opeti
    It's Malachi from SPX I liked the way you set your writing out
    keep the good work up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Opeti,
    I really like your how you doing your writing and it's so amazing.
    Keep it up the good work!!!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Room 5,
    I really like how you are learning how to write like you are in the picture you are looking at. I think that my class should try to write in the moment.

    Great Job
    Mei

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia Ora room 5.
    My name is Reuben and I go to Grey Main school in Greymouth.
    I really like how you are looking at a picture and writing descriptive words. I enjoy doing the same but I prefer to write about Spooky pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.